We all want to see our Bettas happy, colorful and thriving, and it can be downright depressing to see our fish sick.
First, here are some signs that your Betta is happy, healthy and doing well:
- eating at all feedings
- showing all fins. Bettas like to spread these out while swimming.
- clear eyes
- skin looks healthy and smooth
Unfortunately if you are reading this article it might mean your Betta is ill.
9 Signs that your Betta Fish is sick:
- not eating
- scraping on the rocks
- lying on the bottom of the tank
- not spreading fins while swimming
- not growing as expected
- swimming sideways
- white or discolored feces
- white buds or dots appearing on the skin
- faded skin color
What you can do:
- Bring a water sample to the local pet store. If you are lucky to have a local fish store or even big pet store like PetSmart near you they will test your water sample for free and give you results in minutes
- make sure your water temperature is near 80 degrees, that is ideal for Betta Fish
- remove any algae from the sides of the tank
- chlorine is in tap water and fatal to Betta fish, you may need a declorinator or water treatment to deal with this. The best option is to test your water at the pet store